• 1 can (19 oz /540 ml) red kidney beans
• 2 medium red onions
• 4 tbsp (60 ml) olive oil
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) red wine vinegar
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) light brown sugar
• 1/2 lb (250 g) cup mushrooms
• 1 clove garlic
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) garam masala
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) whole-wheat flour
• Small bunch of fresh mint
• Salt and black pepper
• 4 pita breads
1. Rinse beans well; spread on dish towel to drain.
2. For red onion relish, heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil in pot. Peel onions; slice one onion thinly and add to pot with vinegar and sugar. Bring to boil, stirring, then reduce heat and leave to simmer, uncovered, 15–20 minutes, or until onion is softened and slightly sticky, stirring from time to time. Remove pot from heat and keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, quarter remaining onion and put in food processor. Clean mushrooms, add to onion and process until finely chopped.
4. Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in frying pan, add onion and mushroom mixture, and cook over fairly high heat, stirring occasionally, for 5–8 minutes, or until golden and dry.
5. Peel garlic, crush into mushroom mixture, stir in garam masala and flour and cook 1 minute. Rinse, dry and chop enough mint to give 2 tbsp (25 ml). Remove pot from heat, add mint and season with salt and pepper.
6. Put beans onto deep plate and mash firmly with potato masher, then stir in cooled mushroom mixture.
7. Divide mixture into four; with lightly floured hands, shape portions into burgers.
8. Heat remaining oil in large frying pan, add burgers and cook over fairly high heat 6–8 minutes, turning once, until well browned. Warm pita breads.
9. Arrange burgers on warm plates and spoon onion relish over top. Serve with warm pitas and green salad.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca