Beef Brisket in a Slow Cooker
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 beef brisket
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 kg (2 lb) potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-cm (3/4-inch) cubes
- 500 g (1 lb) parsnips, peeled and cut into 5 mm (1/4-inch) slices
- 500 (1 lb) carrots, peeled and cut into 0.5 cm slices
- 250 ml (1 cup) red wine
- 250 ml (1 cup) beef broth
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) tomato paste
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried thyme
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried rosemary
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1. In a large skillet on stovetop, heat oil until hot. Season brisket with salt and pepper. Place garlic and onion in pan. Brown brisket for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- 2. Transfer into stoneware in slow cooker base. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover, cook on low for 5 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours or until meat is cooked through.
- 3. Remove bay leaves before slicing and serving.