- 12 oz (375 g) beef chuck, cut into 1-in. (2.5-cm) cubes
- 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 10 oz (300 g) mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) pearl barley
- 7 cups (1.75 l) low-salt beef broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) dry white wine or tomato juice
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- 1 cup (250 ml) frozen peas
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lemon juice
1. Coat large pot with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Sauté beef until brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to double layer of paper towels with slotted spoon.
2. Sauté onions and mushrooms in pot drippings until onions are golden, about 7 minutes. Return beef to pot. Stir in carrots, barley, broth, wine, salt and pepper, then boil.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, until beef and barley are tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in peas and cook, uncovered, until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to rd.ca or check out Key Ingredients in this month’s Reader’s Digest, on newsstands now!