My grandmother makes this soup with homemade stock on cold nights, and also on hot nights, because it’s one of our favourites. We used to, and still call it “belly button” soup because of the shape of the tortellini. This is a big favourite for small and big kids alike.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- PHOTOS: Celebrities attend 'Avengers: Endgame' premiere in Los Angeles29 Pictures
- PHOTOS: This Pakistani waiter looks just like Peter Dinklage8 Pictures
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh or frozen meat or cheese tortellini
- 8 cups (2 L) chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh Italian parsley or basil
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook tortellini for 8 minutes or until they float to the top. Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan, bring chicken stock and parsley to boil. Stir in tortellini; simmer for 5 minutes. Serve in deep soup bowls sprinkled with Parmesan.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: For a heartier soup, stir in 1 cup (250 mL) frozen mixed vegetables with tortellini.
For more recipes, please visit emilyrichardscooks.ca.