Forget about serving pie or a traditional cake. Blueberry cinnamon coffee cake is delicious when served for any occasion.
Blueberry Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Prep time: 15 min.
Cooking: 35 min.
• 750 ml (3 cups) locally grown blueberries
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) icing sugar, divided
• 10 ml (2 tsp) cinnamon, divided 125 ml (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
• 75 ml (1/3 cup) cold butter, cut in bits
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) finely chopped walnuts
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) butter, softened
• 250 ml (1 cup) granulated sugar
• 2 eggs
• 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla
• 500 ml (2 cups) all-purpose flour
• 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
• 1 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
• 5 ml (1 tsp) baking soda
• 250 ml (1 cup) sour cream
1. In a small bowl, stir together blueberries and half each of the icing sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
In another small bowl, stir together flour and remaining icing sugar
3. Cut in butter until texture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in walnuts. Set aside.
1. In a large bowl, cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla.
2. In a separate bowl, sift or stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir baking soda into sour cream.
3. Stir half of the dry ingredients into butter mixture. Add sour cream; stir in remaining dry ingredients.
Spread in greased 3.5-l (9-by-13-inch) metal cake pan, smoothing with
spatula. (The batter is thick.) Sprinkle with blueberry mixture.
Sprinkle walnut mixture evenly over top.
5. Bake in a 180 C (350 F) oven until skewer inserted in centre comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
Correction - August 23, 2010, 1:04 pm EST: A previous version of this recipe, in error, omitted sour cream in the ingredients list. It has since been added.