• 3/4 cup (175 ml) bulgur
• 2 large tomatoes
• 1/2 cucumber, peeled and coarsely grated
• 1 carrot, peeled and grated
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
• 10 fresh mint leaves, chopped
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
• sprig of fresh mint to garnish
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 1 1/2 tbsp (20 ml) wine vinegar
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Tip bulgur into heatproof bowl, pour in 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) boiling water, cover and leave soak 20 minutes, or until most of water is absorbed. Tip into sieve to drain off excess water.
2. Scald the tomatoes in a bowl of boiling water, 30 seconds. Drain, then refresh under cold running water. Peel off skins, then scoop out seeds and dice flesh.
3. Mix tomato flesh with cucumber and carrot. Rub bulgur between fingers to separate grains, add to vegetables with herbs and toss. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
4. For dressing, put oil, vinegar, garlic and seasoning into jar and shake well. Pour dressing over the salad and toss gently. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 3 hours before serving. Garnish with sprig of fresh mint.
Serves 4 as a light meal
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca