Bulgur with Spring Vegetables
- Photos: Women's March In New York City30 Pictures
- PHOTOS: 16 Betty White quotes to brighten your day17 Pictures
- 1 1/4 cups bulgur
- 3 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 leeks, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 asparagus spears, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 Combine bulgur and boiling water in large heatproof bowl. Let stand until bulgur is tender, 30 minutes; stir after 15 minutes. Drain bulgur in large fine-meshed sieve to get rid of remaining liquid.
- 2. Whisk 1 tbsp of oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in large bowl. Add bulgur; fluff with fork to separate grains and combine them with lemon mixture.
- 3. Heat remaining oil in medium skillet over low heat. Add leeks and garlic; cook until leeks are tender, 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl with bulgur.
- 4. In steamer set over pot of boiling water, steam asparagus until tender, 4 minutes. Add peas during final 30 seconds of steaming. Add vegetables to bowl of bulgur along with mint and toss to combine. Serve at room temperature or chilled.