1. Canucks fever. The last time a Canadian NHL team captured the Stanley Cup, grunge music was still in style (Montreal won it in 1993 over L.A.). But Nevermind. The Vancouver Canucks are looking like a good bet to end the drought after advancing to the Western Conference finals, just one step away from a shot at Lord Stanley.
2. Pippa. Pippa Middleton has become so famous since nearly upstaging her princess sis on royal wedding day that even her derriere has inspired a Facebook page — “Pippa Middleton Ass Appreciation Society” — with 215,000 fans. Pippa is now a household name. Now watch for it to become a popular baby name by next year.
3. Skywriting. What’s the next big advertising gimmick? It could be skywriting, which recently had Twitter, blogs and media abuzz after aircraft wrote “LIVE CLARITIN CLEAR TODAY” in the skies over Toronto. Advil must have done well that day, as well, from all the sore necks straining upwards to read the message being skywritten.
4. CSI star doesn’t have Bieber fever. What does Marg Helgenberger get for saying that Canada’s Justin Bieber is “kind of a brat.” A) her name trending on Google this week, B) backlash from Bieber fans, and C) a tweet from @justinbieber himself, part of which read, “it’s kinda lame when someone you met briefly and never worked with comments on you.”
5. CN Tower (of Terror). If you thought its glass floor was trippy, well then just wait till you see its new EdgeWalk. The attraction, which CN Tower PR folk are calling “the world’s highest full circle hands-free walk,” launches Aug. 1. What would make the adventure more extreme would be catching a Jose Bautista homer soaring out of nearby Rogers Centre.
6. Skype Is Hot. She had heavyweight suitors after her, including Facebook and Google, but it was Microsoft that landed her this week — at a cost of US$8.5 billion. Perhaps the best tweet response came from @abrams: Announcement: ‘Skype to be renamed Microsoft Windows Live Hotmail MSN Video Chat Bing.’
7. Friday the 13th. If you’re at all superstitious, this is the day you watch your back. Unless, of course, you’re 15 and younger, in which case you’re (likely) a fan of Taylor Swift and embrace the No. 13 like her six million fans on Twitter (@taylorswift13). Including my 10-year-old daughter.
8. Survivor finale. Sunday we find out if Boston Rob — who has been on the show, like, a million times — will finally take it. He’s in the final four. He has never won it. Here’s hoping the dude takes it. If not, we’ll see him again.
- PHOTOS: Celebrities attend 'Avengers: Endgame' premiere in Los Angeles29 Pictures
- PHOTOS: This Pakistani waiter looks just like Peter Dinklage8 Pictures