Carbon monoxide strikes workers

Two employees at a Winners store in Barrhaven were taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning at around noon yesterday.

Two employees at a Winners store in Barrhaven were taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning at around noon yesterday.

Paramedics were called to the store in the Chapman Mills Marketplace near Strandherd Drive and Greenbank Road at around 11:40 a.m. to treat people suffering from headaches, dizziness and nausea.

In total, nine employees were showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

“Two of them showed more pronounced symptoms, that would indicate that the carbon monoxide level was a little bit higher in their blood,” said paramedic spokesman J.P. Trottier.

Ottawa Fire Services spokesman Marc Messier said they believe the source of gas was the propane powered equipment used to polish the floors at night, so it’s possible that the readings were higher earlier in the morning.

“It’s the only thing that was running off of carbon-based fuel at the time,” said Messier.

 
 
Latest From ...
Most Popular From ...