Caribbean Butternut Squash and Corn Stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 796 mL can chopped tomatoes
- 540 mL can black-eyed peas
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- 1. Heat oil in large pot and add onion, garlic, butternut squash, red pepper and bay leaf. Stir well, then cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add tomatoes with their juice, black-eyed peas and corn, and stir to mix. Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, sugar and vinegar; stir again. Cover and simmer until squash is tender, 15 minutes.
- 3. Sprinkle parsley over stew and serve at once.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca