Here is a fast easy family night supper which will please pasta lovers at your table.
Cheddar Chicken Penne
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter, divided
- 500 g (1 lb) boneless, skinless chicken, cut into strips
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 tart cooking apples, thinly sliced
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) cider vinegar
- 375 ml (1½ cups) 35% whipping cream
- 125 ml (½ cup) dried cranberries
- 375 g (12 oz) penne or other short pasta
- 250 ml (1 cup) shredded old cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh chives
1. In a large skillet, melt half of the butter over medium-high heat; brown chicken strips in batches, transfer to a bowl.
2. Add remaining butter to skillet. Add green onions, apples, nutmeg, 3 ml (¾ tsp) salt and 1 ml (¼ tsp) pepper; cook, stirring for about 3 minutes or until softened. Add vinegar, scraping any bits stuck to the pan. Stir in cream and cranberries; bring to boil. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring often, for about 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
3. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook pasta for about 10 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain and return to pot.
4. Add chicken and any accumulated juices to sauce; simmer for about 3 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside. Pour over cooked pasta and sprinkle with cheese; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with chives.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional information per serving: 442 calories, 31 g protein, 11 g fat, 54 g carbohydrates, 4 g fibre, 632 mg sodium.
Source: Dairy Farmers of Canada,www.dairygoodness.ca.