• 1 medium red onion
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) corn oil
• 1 clove garlic
• 1 small red chili pepper
• 1 lb (500 g) tomatoes
• 1 can (19 oz / 540 ml) chickpeas
• 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
• Salt and black pepper
• 1/4 lb (125 g) old Cheddar cheese
• 1 small iceberg lettuce
• 4 soft ?our tortillas,
• 7–8 in. (18–20 cm) in diameter
Thick natural yogurt or sour cream and sprigs of coriander as garnish
1. Preheat grill to high. Peel and thinly slice onion. Heat corn oil in frying pan and fry
sliced onion over fairly high heat, stirring, until softened and lightly browned.
2. Peel and crush garlic, then rinse, deseed and slice chili pepper. Rinse and chop tomatoes. Drain and rinse chickpeas.
3. Stir cumin into onion, then add garlic, chili pepper, tomatoes and chickpeas. Cook them over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 5–8 minutes, until most liquid has evaporated, then season.
4. Coarsely grate cheese. Rinse and dry coriander and rinse, dry and shred lettuce.
5. Lay tortillas ?at and divide lettuce among them. Spoon chickpea mixture down centre of each, fold sides over, and lay in ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with cheese and grill until melted.
6. Serve with yogurt or sour cream, garnished with coriander.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
- PHOTOS: What's Brewing in Steamy Hallows, the Harry Potter-Inspired Cafe19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Frida Kahlo at the Brooklyn Museum doesn't hold back23 Pictures