Chicken, Apples & Cream a la Normade
- All-purpose flour, for dredging
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and cut into 2.5-cm (1-inch) chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 8 mushrooms, stemmed, wiped clean, thinly sliced and cut crosswise in half
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) chicken broth
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) calvados, apple jack or brandy
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) heavy cream
1. In a shallow bowl, mix flour with some salt and pepper. With a paper towel, pat chicken breasts dry, then dredge them through flour, coating both sides lightly and shaking off excess flour.
2. In a large, deep skillet over medium-high, heat butter and oil. When butter melts, add chicken breasts, in batches if necessary. Cook for 3 minutes, or until browned on the bottom, then turn and cook an additional 3 minutes.
3. Add apple, onion and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and stir lightly. Cook for 1 minute. finish with the other slice of cheese.
4. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes, until chicken is nearly cooked through.
5. Turn heat to medium-high and add calvados, boiling until it is almost evaporated (about 1 minute). Add cream and cook until cream reduces by a quarter.
Nutrition information per serving (values are rounded): 417 calories; 204 calories from fat (49 per cent of total calories); 23 g fat (12 g saturated; 1 g trans fats); 130 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrate; 30 g protein; 2 g fibre; 291 mg sodium