• 4 chicken breast fillets, each about 150 g, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 1 large green pepper, seeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 4 pita breads
• 1/3 cup (75 ml) soft goat cheese with garlic and herbs
• 4 crisp lettuce leaves
• 2 tomatoes, sliced
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley to garnish
1. Soak eight wooden skewers in cold water for at least 30 minutes, or use metal skewers. Preheat grill or broiler to moderate heat.
2. Thread alternate pieces chicken and green pepper onto skewers, pushing ingredients close together to keep juicy. Brush with oil.
3. Grill brochettes 7–8 minutes per side until chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
4. Meanwhile, warm pita breads, either under grill or in toaster. Spread goat cheese on lettuce leaves.
5. To serve, split pitas open and insert lettuce and tomato slices. Season brochettes, then slip chicken and peppers into pita pockets. Garnish with sprigs of fresh parsley.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Chicken Brochettes with Pita