- 1 lb (500 g) chicken, diced
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) plain flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp (20 ml) olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups (500 ml) dry alcoholic cider
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 carrots, peeled
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) button mushrooms, halved
- 3 zucchini, trimmed
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/4 cups (175 g) self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) snipped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh oregano
- 1 oz (30 g) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 7 tbsp (100 ml) low-fat milk
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Toss chicken in flour to coat. Heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil in frying pan. Add chicken and fry over a medium heat, stirring, about 3 minutes. Stir in remaining oil and onions, reduce heat and cook 5 minutes, until onions are golden.
2. Stir in cider and bay leaf, and boil. Quarter carrots lengthwise, then chop into 3/4-inch (2-cm) chunks and add to pan with mushrooms. Reduce heat. Simmer gently for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cut zucchini into quarters lengthwise, then cut across into chunks, about the size of the carrots. Mix with corn and set aside.
4. To make the cobbler topping, combine flour, herbs and a little seasoning in bowl.
Using your fingertips, rub in butter until the mixture looks like fine crumbs, then stir in milk until ingredients come together to make a soft dough. Turn onto floured surface and press with floured fingers to 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick. Using a floured 2 1/2-inch (6-cm) round cookie cutter, cut out eight rounds, re-using trimmings.
5. Stir zucchini and corn into chicken mixture and season. Transfer to ovenproof dish and arrange “cobblers” on top. Cook uncovered, for 20 minutes until topping is golden. Serve hot.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca