4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground mace
3 tbsp olive oil
1 romaine lettuce, torn
150 g arugula
4 scallions, sliced
398 mL can artichoke hearts, drained and halved
8 mint sprigs, chopped, plus extra to garnish
1 cup plain yogurt
4 tbsp mixed seeds (sunflower, sesame, etc)
100 g dried pitted dates, sliced
1. Preheat broiler. Put chicken in shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, garlic, mace and oil, then turn over to distribute seasonings.
2. Broil chicken until well browned on both sides. Test by piercing thickest part with point of knife; juices should run clear and flesh should be white, not pink. Leave chicken in pan.
3. Meanwhile, mix lettuce, arugula, scallions and artichoke hearts. Divide salad among four plates. Mix mint into yogurt and set aside.
4. Turn chicken over and sprinkle with seeds, pressing on with spoon. Grill for 10-20 seconds to heat and brown seeds. Add dates and stir with seeds and juices around chicken.
5. Slice chicken and arrange on salads with dates and seeds, spooning over cooking juices. Drizzle mint and yogurt dressing over and serve, garnished with mint.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Chicken Salad with Dates and Minted Yogurt