• 2 tbsp (25 ml) vegetable oil
• 4 lean pork loin steaks
• 1 2/3 lbs (800 g) plums, halved, stoned and roughly chopped
• 4 spring onions, cut into 1-in (2.5-cm) lengths
• 4 orange sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-in (1-cm) cubes
• 8 oz (250 g) can water chestnuts, drained and rinsed, then sliced
• 2-in (3-cm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
• 2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt-reduced soy sauce
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) cider vinegar
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
• 1/4 tsp (1 ml) five-spice powder
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) chopped fresh coriander
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Heat oil in large flameproof casserole dish, then briefly fry pork steaks on both sides until lightly browned. Add plums, spring onions, sweet potatoes and water chestnuts to casserole dish, then stir.
2. Put ginger into small bowl. Add garlic, chili pepper (if using), sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, wine or sherry and five-spice powder. Mix well, then spoon mixture over ingredients in casserole dish. Cover with lid, then cook in oven, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes until meat is tender and sauce has thickened.
3. Taste sauce and add more sugar or vinegar if needed, depending on flavour of plums, to give a good balance of sweet and sour tastes. Scatter chopped coriander over top and serve.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
- PHOTOS: What's Brewing in Steamy Hallows, the Harry Potter-Inspired Cafe19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Frida Kahlo at the Brooklyn Museum doesn't hold back23 Pictures