This moist and scrumptious chocolate cake is infused with the goodness of sweet potato. It makes a uniquely delicious end to a special dinner and is a source of fibre and vitamin C.
Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake
- 1 bag (454 g) frozen sweet potato chunks
- 180 g (6 oz) bittersweet (70 per cent) chocolate, chopped
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 10 ml (2 tsp) vanilla
- 500 ml (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) chocolate chips
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) toffee bits
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F).
- Over a saucepan of boiling water, place frozen sweet potatoes in a steamer basket and steam for 12 minutes or until very tender. (Make sure there is a gap between the top of the water and the bottom of the steamer basket.) Place sweet potatoes in a large bowl and mash using a potato masher. Add chocolate and let stand for 2 minutes or until melted, then stir to combine. Let cool.
- In another large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and beat in vanilla. Beat in cooled sweet potato mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir into chocolate mixture until combined. Scrape into parchment paper-lined 3-l (13-by-9-inch) baking pan and spread evenly in pan. Bake for about 25 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Immediately after cake comes out of oven, sprinkle chocolate chips over top of cake and let stand for 2 minutes. Spread evenly, then sprinkle with toffee and pecans. Let cool.
Makes 12 to 16 servings.
Tip: Instead of steaming sweet potatoes, follow the microwave steam directions on the manufacturer’s package.
Source: McCain Foods.