• 1 1/2-lb (750 g) bag prepared fresh or frozen mixed vegetables
• 1/4 lb (125 g) mature cheddar cheese, grated
• 1 cup (125 ml) sour cream
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 4 bread sticks, crushed
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) chopped hazelnuts
1. Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C). Add vegetables to pot of boiling water, bring back to boil and cook 3 minutes or until just tender (or use steamer if you prefer). Drain.
2. Reserve 2 tbsp (25 ml) cheese for topping and stir remainder into sour cream. Mix in eggs. Season to taste with ground black pepper. Mix in cooked vegetables, then transfer to warm, greased, shallow ovenproof dish.
3. Mix bread sticks with reserved grated cheese and chopped nuts, then scatter over vegetables.
4. Bake on top shelf of oven 12-15 minutes or until golden and slightly puffed.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Chunky Vegetable Fricasse