Cigarettes behind fatal blaze

Careless use of smoking materials caused the fire that killed a manlast weekend in his north end apartment, the Halifax fire departmenthas confirmed.

 

Careless use of smoking materials caused the fire that killed a man last weekend in his north end apartment, the Halifax fire department has confirmed.

 

“It was cigarettes mainly,” Divisional Capt. Dave Meldrum said yesterday. “Smoking materials ignited the couch.”

 

Fire fighters rushed to the blaze inside the three-story brick building at 3232 Isleville St. at about 1:20 a.m. Sunday. They entered an apartment and found a man in his 50s dead on the couch, Meldrum said.

 

“The investigation into this fire is completed,” he said.

Another tenant tried to rescue the man, but instead went to hospital with smoke inhalation, fire officials said earlier this week. No one else was injured in the fire.

 
Latest From ...
Most Popular From ...