- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) black pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp (10 ml) light soy sauce
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 small cantaloupe, cut into 1-in. (2.5-cm) cubes
- 1/2 basket of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) thinly sliced fresh basil
- 6 cups (1.5 l) mesclun leaves, for serving
1. Preheat grill or broiler to medium. Sprinkle chicken on both sides with salt and black pepper. Devein and seed jalapeno pepper, then mince. In pie plate, mix 2 tbsp (25 ml) lime juice, garlic, soy sauce and 1 tsp (5 ml) jalapeno. Add chicken and turn to coat. Marinate at room temperature while preparing salsa.
2. Halve cucumber lengthwise and remove seeds. Place cucumber cut-side down on board and thinly slice. In medium bowl, toss cucumber, cantaloupe, tomatoes, basil and remaining jalapeno and lime juice. Set aside.
3. Discard marinade and lightly coat chicken with non-stick cooking spray. Grill or broil chicken until juices run clear, 5 minutes per side, turning once.
4. Transfer chicken to cutting board and cut diagonally into strips 1/2 in. (1 cm) wide. Toss with cucumber mixture. Divide mesclun among 4 plates and spoon chicken and melon mixture over.
For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to rd.ca or check out Key Ingredients in this month's Reader's Digest, on newsstands now!