Classic Beef Noodle Soup
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) dry sherry
- 2/3 lb (300 g) lean rump steak, sliced into very thin strips
- 4 cups (1l) beef stock
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 5 oz (150 g) shiitake mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 7 oz (200 g) baby bok choy, leaves halved
- 8 oz (250 g) instant fine egg noodles
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) canola oil
- 1. Combine soy sauce, sesame oil and sherry in bowl. Add strips of beef and toss until well mixed. Leave to marinate.
- 2. Heat stock in large pot or flame-proof casserole. Add scallions, sliced mushrooms and halved bok choy, and simmer 2 minutes.
- 3. Add nests of noodles to pan of vegetables and cook 2-4 minutes or until tender.
- 4. While noodles are cooking, heat wok or frying pan with oil and stir-fry beef until browned. Tip contents of pan into simmering stock. Bring back to boil. Taste and season with black pepper, then ladle into four serving bowls and serve.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to rd.ca