Cod with Spicy Lentils
- PHOTOS: 16 Betty White quotes to brighten your day17 Pictures
- PHOTOS: It was a stylish No Pants Subway Ride 2019 in NYC19 Pictures
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 skinless cod fillets or cod steaks
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Preheat broiler. Heat half of olive oil in pot, add onion, celery, leeks and chili pepper; cook 2 minutes. Stir in lentils. Add vegetable broth, thyme and bay leaf: bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer until lentils are tender, 20 minutes. If lentils have not absorbed all broth, drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, mix remaining oil, lemon juice and cayenne pepper. Lay cod on broiler pan, skinned side up, season lightly and brush with oil mixture. Broil until fish will flake easily, 6 to 7 minutes. There is no need to turn fish over.
- 3. Spread lentils on warmed serving dish and arrange pieces of cod on top. Serve immediately.