• 2 tbsp (25 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 celery stalks, chopped
• 2 medium leeks, chopped
• 1 or 2 fresh red chili peppers, seeded and chopped
• 1 cup (250 ml) Puy lentils, rinsed and drained
• 3 cups (750 ml) vegetable stock
• 1 sprig fresh thyme
• 1 bay leaf
• Fresh-squeezed juice of 1 lemon
• Pinch cayenne
• 4 pieces skinless cod fillet or cod steaks
• Salt and fresh-ground black pepper
• To serve: Lemon wedges
1. Preheat broiler to medium-high. Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of olive oil in medium pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, leeks and chili peppers; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in lentils. Add vegetable stock, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. If lentils have not absorbed all stock, drain.
2. Meanwhile, prepare fish. Stir together remaining oil, lemon juice and cayenne. Lay cod in broiler pan, skin side up. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and brush with oil mixture. Broil until flesh flakes easily, 6 to 7 minutes. There is no need to turn fish over.
3. Divide lentils between warm plates and arrange pieces of cod on top. Serve with lemon wedges.
324 calories, 7.5 g total fat, 1 g
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca