A hearty salad that is quick and easy to prepare, it's full of colourful and seasonal vegetables with a light, fresh dressing.
Colourful Penne & Sausage Salad
Makes four servings
Prep time: 10 min.
Cooking: 15 min.
• 3 cups (750 mL) penne
• 1 large clove garlic
• ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
• ¼ cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
• 3 Tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
• ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
• 4 hot or mild Italian sausages
• 1 each sweet red, yellow and green pepper
• 1 head radicchio
• 1 container (200 g) small bocconcini cheese
• ¼ cup (60 mL) loosely packed fresh basil, thinly sliced
1. In saucepan of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, mince garlic with salt. In large bowl, whisk garlic mixture, oil, vinegar and pepper. Set aside.
3. Place sausages and red, yellow and green peppers on greased grill over medium heat; close lid and grill, turning often, until juices run clear when sausages are pierced and peppers are charred all over, 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Cut sausages into bite-size pieces; set aside. Peel, quarter and seed peppers; slice and add to dressing. Toss to coat.
5. Cut radicchio in half lengthwise; remove core. Grill, turning often, until leaves are tender and slightly charred, 5 minutes.
6. Transfer to cutting board; slice. Add to dressing. Add pasta, sausage, cheese and basil; toss to combine.