Scene from the upcoming film Blades Of Glory
Another movie-going year is already upon us and that means another series of blockbuster expectations, sleeper successes and, hopefully, only a few bombs along the way. From a web-slinger to the popular Mr. Clooney, Metro presents the 2007 film preview (all release dates are subject to change):
• Blades Of Glory (March 30): Will Ferrell and Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite) play rival figure skaters who team up in pairs competition after both are suspended for brawling. They find purpose and skate for glory against a brother-sister pair (played by Arrested Development’s Will Arnett and Saturday Night Live’s Amy Poehler).
• Spider-Man 3 (May 4): Spidey gets a new, black costume (think Venom, comic fans) and takes on a new villain in the Sandman, played by Sideways’ Thomas Haden Church in what promises to be a darker spin on the saga.
Shrek The Third
• Shrek The Third (May 18): The animated franchise never seems to lose steam and this time also features Justin Timberlake as King Arthur.
Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World’s End
• Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World’s End (May 25): Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley are all back to take on the creepy Davy Jones (Bill Nighy), but with a twist —the Rolling Stones’ Keith Richards makes an appearance as Captain Jack Sparrow’s father.
• Ocean’s Thirteen (June 8): The final instalment in the ultra-hip trilogy sees Danny Ocean’s (George Clooney) crew once again trying to pull a heist in Vegas when their old nemesis Terry Benedict (Andy Garcia) comes looking for help to deal with casino mogul Willie Banks (Al Pacino).
• Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix (July 13): The ever-darker wizard series sees the world’s most popular spell-caster dealing with his impending first kiss and the loss of a loved one.
• Sicko (TBD): Michael Moore takes on the health-care industry in the follow-up to his groundbreaking documentary Fahrenheit 9/11.
• Transformers (July 4): Sure to offer more action than meets the eye, children of the ’80s will be in their glory as the shape-shifting robots finally make their live-action feature debut.
• I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry (July 20): Two firefighters (The King Of Queens’ Kevin James and Click’s Adam Sandler) pretend to be married so one can receive domestic partner benefits after the death of his wife.
• The Simpsons Movie (July 27): D’oh! The Simpsons have finally hit the big screen with series and Monsters, Inc. veteran David Silverman at the helm.