The difference between flaky and mealy pie crusts is mostly in the technique. When you settle on the one you want, try your hand at this recipe.
Cranberry Almond Pistachio Pie
• 250 ml dried cranberries
• 250 ml water
• 250 ml dark brown sugar
• 250 ml maple syrup
• 15 ml molasses
• 50 ml heavy cream
• 50 ml butter
• 6 egg yolks
• 125 ml slivered almonds, toasted
• 125 ml pistachios
• 1 uncooked flaky pie crust, bottom only
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
1. Heat oven to 180 C (350 F). Place a baking sheet in the oven.
2. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine cranberries and water. Microwave on high for 1 minute or until very hot. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, drain and discard water.
3. In a medium pan over medium-high, heat brown sugar, maple syrup, molasses, cream and butter until boiling. Remove from heat.
4. In a medium, heat-safe bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. While whisking continuously, slowly pour hot sugar mixture into egg yolks, allowing yolks to heat up gradually until entire mixture is incorporated.
5. Fit a single pie crust into a pie pan, trimming and crimping edge.
6. Sprinkle almonds, pistachios and drained cranberries evenly into pie crust. Pour filling mixture over nuts and cranberries, making sure they are evenly coated. Place pie on baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes or until filling is slightly puffed and crust is golden. Makes 8 servings.