Creamy Vegetable Fricassee
For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to rd.ca or check out Key Ingredients in this month’s Reader’s Digest, on newsstands now!
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
• 8 oz (250 g) carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
• 8 oz (250 g) new potatoes, scrubbed and halved or quartered (depending on size)
• 5 oz (150 g) button mushrooms, halved
• 1 2/3 cup (400 mL) diluted reduced-salt vegetable stock
• 2 tbsp (25 mL) dry white wine
• 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh tarragon or 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried tarragon
• 1 cup (250 mL) frozen broad beans
• 5 oz (150 g) asparagus, trimmed
• 1/4 cup (175 mL) light sour cream
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted cashew nuts
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh tarragon (optional)
1. Heat oil in large flameproof casserole dish over medium heat. Add carrots, potatoes and mushrooms, and cook, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes until lightly browned.
2. Pour in stock and white wine, and stir in tarragon. Bring to boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer gently about 10 minutes until vegetables are almost cooked.
3. Stir in broad beans and lay asparagus on top. Cover and simmer for 6 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. Lift out vegetables onto plate, using slotted spoon. Stir sour cream into liquid in casserole dish and heat through gently, then season to taste. Return vegetables to casserole dish, coating with sauce. Scatter nuts and tarragon leaves (if using) over top.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca