• 1 lb (500 g) boneless veal steak or pork tenderloin, 3/4 in (2 cm) thick and trimmed
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
• 1 can (14 oz/392 g) low-sodium stewed tomatoes, undrained and cut up
• 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
• 2 yellow and/or green peppers, cut into thin strips
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) pickled jalapeno pepper, minced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
• 1/8 tsp (0.5 ml) ground cayenne
• 3 cups (750 ml) low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 1/2 cup (375 ml) long-grain rice
• 4 medium-size scallions with tops, finely chopped
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) minced parsley
1. Cut veal into 8 pieces. Pound both sides until meat is 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) thick.
2. In nonstick skillet, heat oil over moderately high heat. Add 4 veal pieces and cook 1 to 2 minutes per side or until browned. Remove veal from skillet. Repeat with remaining meat.
3. Add tomatoes, onion, sweet peppers, jalapeno pepper, 1 garlic clove, 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt, and ground red pepper to skillet and stir. Return meat to skillet. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until meat is tender.
4. Meanwhile, in medium-size pot, bring broth to boil. Stir in rice, scallions and remaining garlic and salt. Cover tightly, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand, lid on, 2 minutes. Fluff with fork.
5. To serve, arrange meat on rice. Spoon tomato mixture over meat and rice. Sprinkle with parsley.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Creole Veal Grillades