Robert Thomas Crowe is once again behind bars after the convicted sex offender was set free by a paperwork mix-up last week.

Crowe, 22, was arrested on June 29 and charged with the sexual assault of an 18-year-old Dartmouth woman. He also faced charges of anal intercourse without consent and breach of probation.

Crowe was set to appear in a Dartmouth court for a bail hearing last Monday. A human error, however, led to his name not being included on a court transfer document.

Because the order to hold Crowe in prison expired that day, Judge Brian Gibson ruled he did not have authority to keep him behind bars.

Police laid new charges and re-arrested Crowe. In addition to the previous charges, he now faces charges of sexual assault causing bodily harm, forcible confinement, and robbery. Crowe was arrested without incident, appearing before a Dartmouth provincial court on Friday. Police spokesperson Const. Brian Palmeter said the new charges were the result of police consultations with the victim.

Fixes to come: Landry
An internal inquiry found human error led to Robert Thomas Crowe’s name being left off a court transfer document, Justice Minister Ross Landry said Friday.

He said performance issues will be addressed with two staff, and a review of the process for court listings has begun. “We have worked very hard throughout the Department of Justice to ensure the right training, equipment and procedures are in place...,” said Landry, in a release. “Now we are making sure they are followed.”