Two men charged in the fatal shooting of 15-year-old Jordan Manners
in a Toronto high school are expected to face a second trial, Attorney
General Chris Bentley said Monday.



Their first-degree murder
trial ended in a mistrial Friday, when the jury told the judge it could
not reach a unanimous verdict after four days of deliberations.


“This matter is going to be back before the court on April 1,” Bentley said.


“I understand it's the Crown's intention to have a second trial.”


The co-accused cannot be named because they were under 18 at the time of the attack in May 2007.

wouldn't comment on an unusual move by Justice Ian Nordheimer, who told
the court - but not the jury - that two teenage witnesses “undermined
the process” during the trial.

Nordheimer called on the attorney
general to investigate but Bentley said he would not comment while the
case was before the court.

“I'm going to let that process unfold as it should,” Bentley said.

“The submissions about what should or shouldn't happen, what did or didn't happen, can be made in court before the judge.”

Manners, who was in Grade 9, was the first person shot dead inside a Toronto high school.

He was found in the stairwell of C.W. Jefferys Collegiate in the city's north end.

death sparked alarm about school safety. Police officers were posted to
high schools, reviews were commissioned to examine the issue, and
legislation was passed aimed at protecting students.

The jury had indicated to the judge Thursday they were at an impasse.

Nordheimer told them to return to their hotel to get a good night's sleep, and then to do their “utmost” to come to a verdict.

On Friday, however, they said they were hopelessly deadlocked and the judge declared a mistrial.

During the trial two key witnesses, teenaged girls, backed away from statements they had given to police.

The Crown argued the accused pulled Manners down the stairs in a planned killing.

The prosecutor alleged one man shot Manners and the other rifled through the pockets of the dying teen.