I never back down from a challenge, so when Canadian Family magazine asked me to participate in the launch of its Food Awards, I?was game.
The awards honour the top brands used in Canadian households, and will be announced in a special Winter Food Issue.
In the meantime, readers can vote and participate in the Canadian Family Creative Cook Challenge, during which they must use ingredients provided by Canadian Family to create a dessert.
My challenge involved pancake mix, plain yogurt, barbecue sauce and more. I came up with Crunchy Chicken Salad Waffle Wraps. I used the pancake mix and yogurt help to create a light fluffy waffle that stays soft and can be used to wrap the chicken, or simply serve it on top.
Crunchy Chicken Salad Waffle Wraps
Prep time: 20 mins.
Marinating: 10 mins.
Cooking: 15 mins.
- 1 cup (250 mL) Aunt Jemima Original pancake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) Activia plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) milk
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Diana gourmet barbecue sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon or yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) thyme
- 1 pkg (425 g) Maple Leaf Prime boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 3 cups (750 mL) Doritos nacho chips (Nacho cheese or Cool Ranch)
- 2 pkgs Toddler Mum Mums
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley or basil
- Romaine lettuce leaves
1. Place pancake mix in bowl; set aside. In another bowl, whisk eggs, yogurt, milk and butter. Whisk into pancake mix until smooth.
2. Heat waffle iron. For each waffle brush lightly with oil; pour in scant ½ cup (125 mL) of the batter. Close lid and cook for about 4 minutes or until steam stops and waffle is golden. Remove gently and repeat with remaining batter; set waffles aside.
3. Crunchy Chicken: In shallow baking dish, whisk barbecue sauce, mustard and thyme. Add chicken and turn to coat evenly; set aside for 10 minutes or cover and refrigerate 8 hours.
4. Meanwhile, combine nachos and mum mums in resealable bag and crush into fine crumbs. Add parsley. Place a few chicken strips in bag and shake to coat. Place coated chicken on parchment paper lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining chicken. Bake in 425 F (220 C) oven for 15 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Top waffles with lettuce and chicken.
Emily Richards is a professional home economist, cookbook author and a tv celebrity chef. For more, visit