Crunchy Tortilla Salad
Prep time: 20 min
Cooking: 16 min
Top Sirloin Tostada
• 500 g (1 lb) beef top sirloin grilling steak, about 2.5 cm (1 inch) thick
• 8 whole-wheat flour tortillas, each about 18 cm (7-inch) in diameter
• 50 ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) chopped red onion
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 500 ml (2 cups) each quartered mushrooms and grape tomatoes, halved
• 500 ml (2 cups) fresh or thawed corn kernels
• 250 ml (1 cup) shredded lettuce
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) minced fresh coriander or parsley
• Salt and pepper, to taste
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) each vegetable oil and grated lime rind
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) minced fresh coriander or parsley
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chili powder
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
1. In a bowl, combine oil, lime rind, lime juice, coriander, chili powder and garlic. Set aside 45 ml (3 tbsp) of the mixture in a large bowl for the dressing. Rub remaining mixture over both sides of steak. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
2. Meanwhile, oven toast tortillas. Spray both sides of tortillas with cooking spray; place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a 180 C (350 F) oven for 10 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned.
3. Pat steak dry; season with salt and pepper. Grill over medium-high, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest before slicing.
4. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high, heat 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the oil. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is softened, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until all liquid is released, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add tomatoes and corn. Cook, stirring, just until softened, about 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, whisk remaining oil into reserved marinade to complete the dressing. Thinly slice steak; add to dressing along with mushroom mixture, lettuce and coriander, tossing gently to coat. Pile 125 ml (1/2 cup) of the beef mixture on each tortilla to serve.