The provincial government plans to provide more compensation to victims of the mudslide near Oliver last month, B.C.’s public safety minister announced yesterday.

Michael de Jong also signed off on a report submitted by his deputy David Morhart, which indicated that the disaster on June 13 was largely preventable.

The document issued 12 recommendations dealing with dam safety, maintenance and communication.

“The review highlights evidence of a consistent pattern of concerns and warnings about the state of the Testalinden Dam dating back to the 1960s,” de Jong said.

He added that the province was exploring cleanup and property reimbursement options.

“I know some of the (people affected by the slide) quite well, and I’m very happy that they’re seeing some light at the end of the tunnel,” said Oliver Mayor Pat Hampson.

Loading...
Latest From ...