Donations sought after Edmonton apartment fire
An apartment fire in south Edmonton left 39 people, 21 of thosechildren, temporarily homeless less than a week before Christmas onFriday after a pot of cooking oil was accidentally ignited.
An apartment fire in south Edmonton left 39 people, 21 of those children, temporarily homeless less than a week before Christmas on Friday after a pot of cooking oil was accidentally ignited.
One child and one firefighter were taken to hospital with minor injuries.
“There are 21 kids who are not going to have a Christmas unless we get them some help right away,” Heather McCallum, spokesperson for the Edmonton Emergency Relief Services Society, said yesterday. “We’ve compiled a wish list that we’re asking the general public to help us out with.”
The list includes household furnishings, kitchen items, linens and towels, unopened toiletries, and monetary donations to supply Christmas dinner.
The society is also asking the public to donate any Christmas decorations or gifts.
“We have Christmas trees at our warehouse, but we’re asking the public for Christmas decorations and new Christmas gifts or gift certificates,” McCallum said.
The society is working with the Canadian Red Cross to help the families. The Edmonton Emergency Relief Services Society can be reached at (780) 428-4422.