This double chicken club sandwich with saffron aioli makes a great packed lunch or light supper for a busy school night. It has a sophisticated flavour adults will love, but can easily be tailored to younger tastes by using lettuce rather than arugula and subbing plain mayo for the saffron aioli.
Double Chicken Club With Saffron Aioli
Prep and Cook time: 15 minutes
• Pinch of saffron threads, crumbled (4 to 5 threads)
• 10 ml (2 tsp) warm water
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) reduced-fat mayonnaise
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
• 5 ml (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
• 5 ml (1 tsp) minced garlic
• Ground black pepper, to taste
• 170 g (6 oz) chicken or turkey bacon
• 8 slices whole-grain sandwich bread
• 250 g (8 oz) sliced cooked chicken breast
• 500 ml (2 cups) arugula or leaf lettuce
• 1 large tomato, sliced
• 1/2 small avocado, sliced (optional)
1. In a small bowl, combine saffron and warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes.
2. In a blender or mini food processor, combine saffron mixture, mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard and garlic, then blend until smooth. Season with pepper. Set aside. The aioli can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator, for up to one week.
3. Cook chicken bacon according to package instructions. Toast bread.
4. To assemble sandwiches, spread some of the saffron aioli on each piece of toast. Divide bacon, sliced chicken breast, arugula, tomato and avocado (if using) among 4 slices of toast; top with remaining toast.