Hundreds of downtown residents are seeking temporary shelter after a highrise fire led to the discovery of asbestos.

The discovery was made in the drywall during inspections following the Nov. 23 fire, which destroyed two suites at the Valhalla Apartments. All residents of the building, located at 113 Street and 99 Avenue, have been told they will need to find other accommodations until it can be removed.

Jeannie Lloyd lives on the 14th floor with her daughter. She found out on Friday during a meeting held at a nearby church that she would have to move somewhere else.

“My daughter and I are looking for a short-term furnished place because we’re going to leave our furniture here,” said Lloyd. “I do want to come back.”

Building management wouldn’t comment, only saying the building is closed and inspections are still ongoing.

Residents came in yesterday to gather their belongings.

Lloyd said she was told it could be three to four months before she is able to move back in: “It’s pretty depressing.”

Latest From ...