East Coast Kedgeree
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 500 g smoked haddock or cod fillets
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, sieved
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- 1. In medium pot, cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt.
- 2. Meanwhile, in large skillet, place fish in single layer. Cover with cold water. Add bay leaves and peppercorns. Bring to boil. Simmer, covered, 8 minutes or until fish flakes when tested with fork. Drain fish; discard cooking liquid and seasonings. Cool fish slightly. Remove and discard skin and bones. Use fork to flake fish. Set aside.
- 3. In same skillet, melt butter over moderate heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in curry powder and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring 1 minute. Stir in cooked rice and half of sieved egg. Add fish; combine. Heat through, stirring constantly. To serve, sprinkle with remaining sieved egg and parsley.