• 2 tbsp (25 ml) olive oil
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) Italian seasoning
• 2 cans (19 oz/540 ml each) diced tomatoes
• 1 can (28 oz/796 ml) tomato sauce
• 1 small eggplant (12 oz/375 g), peeled and cut into 1-in. (2.5-cm) pieces
• 1/4 tsp (5 ml) salt
• 1 container (16 oz/454 g) low-fat silken tofu, drained
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup (250 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
• 9 no-boil lasagna noodles
• 2 cups (500 ml) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until tender, 5 minutes. Add garlic and Italian seasoning and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer until flavours are blended, 40 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, coat baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray. Add eggplant, coat with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. Roast, turning occasionally, until browned, 30 minutes.
3. In food processor, combine tofu, eggs and Parmesan cheese; purée until smooth.
4. Coat 9 x 13-in. (3.5 l) baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1 cup (250 ml) sauce on bottom of dish and arrange 3 lasagna noodles on top. Spread half of tofu filling over noodles, followed by half of eggplant. Top with 1-1/2 cups (375 ml) sauce and 1/2 cup (125 ml) mozzarella. Repeat with another layer, then top with remaining noodles, sauce and mozzarella.
5. Cover with foil and bake 1 hour. Remove foil and bake until heated through, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
- Labrador retriever fetches top U.S. dog breed honor for record 28th year7 Pictures
- Oscars 2019: Red carpet looks and full list of winners36 Pictures