A 73-year-old man is in critical condition after a two-alarm blaze at an apartment complex at 278 Montreal Rd. Wednesday.
The fire was promptly extinguished by the 35 firefighters and 13 vehicles responding to the call at 10:53 a.m.
- There's fanfic at The Met and it's all because of the Tale of Genji21 Pictures
- Oscars 2019: Red carpet looks and full list of winners36 Pictures
The man was found unconscious in an apartment by firefighters. Paramedics treated him for third-degree burns to his chest, neck, face and arms, in addition to smoke inhalation. Paramedics also treated a male in his late teens or early 20s for smoke inhalation.
When firefighters arrived on the scene, the kitchen was engulfed in flames. The fire was contained to the apartment, with some minor smoke damage elsewhere in the building.
According to fire platoon leader Dennis Gobey, the fire doesn't seem to be suspicious, and "could be a malfunction of the stove or maybe it was left unattended."
Melissa Marshall, 24, a tenant in the apartment above the fire, said that her son "saw smoke coming out of the radiators." After sending a family member to check the hallway, Marshall escaped from the blaze with her visiting family, including a three-month-old baby, her six-year-old son and her Rottweiler, who recently had a litter of nine.
"The fire alarm didn't even go off for a while," said Marshall. "We didn't hear one until our own alarm went off."
Neighbours have identified the man in critical condition as Peter Belanger.