Don’t know where to start to live a greener life in Halifax? Well, I’ve come up with a number of ideas for how to do that in HRM in honour of Earth Day.
Start by picking one or two to incorporate into your life and go from there.
- Buy local. Find out where your food comes from and chose products that are grown close to home.
- Rent a plot in a community garden to grow your own food and get to know your neighbours.
- Volunteer to collect leftover food from farms and restaurants and redistribute it to the hungry.
- Bring your own takeout containers, instead of using Styrofoam.
- Avoid bottled water, bring your own reusable container and refill it often.
- Eat a vegetarian meal, once a week. It takes 20 pounds of grain to produce one pound of beef.
- Inquire at your favourite restaurant — what are they doing to help the environment?
- Compost your food scraps to make luscious soil for your flowerbeds.
- BYOB: Bring your own bags, when you shop, when you travel.
- Think twice before you buy, will this item end up in a landfill in six months.
- Buy products that have reduced packaging and use recyclable packaging.
- Donate used clothing to charities and second-hand stores.
- Visit the Habitat for Humanity Re-store to get less expensive building materials and give the environment a break.
- Use renewable materials such as bamboo and cork when upgrading and repairing your home.
- Don’t dump chemicals (like motor oil and paint) down storm drains.
- Use natural fertilizers.
- Wash clothes in cold water.
- Hang clothes to dry when possible.
- Use products such as baking soda and vinegar for cleaning.
- List items you no longer want on Halifax Freecycle and give them to someone who needs them.
- Plant a tree, or two.
- Sign up for paperless billing.
- Pick up a piece of litter each day.
Christina Biluk is Director of Engagement for FUSION Halifax. Visit FUSIONHalifax.ca to find out how to get involved in shaping our city; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PHOTOS: Massachusetts residents make first retail marijuana purchases 12 Pictures
- Prepare for GoT season 8 with this Game of Thrones whisky 8 Pictures