BATA, Equatorial Guinea - Equatorial Guinea scored an injury-time winner to beat Senegal 2-1 in the African Cup of Nations on Wednesday to seal a spot in the quarterfinals.

David Alvarez scored in the 94th minute to secure the victory and eliminate Senegal from the tournament. Iban Iyanga had headed the unfancied co-host ahead in the 62nd minute, before substitute Moussa Sow snatched an 89th-minute equalizer.

Senegal coach Amara Traore dropped captain Mamadou Niang to the bench as he sought improvement from the opening 2-1 loss to Zambia.

But the second straight defeat means Senegal, a pre-tournament favourite, is out.

Sow's late strike looked to have snatched a draw for Senegal, until Alvarez' goal prompted Equatorial Guinea's players to sink to their knees and weep in celebration as fans in the 37,500 Estadio de Bata celebrated.

Earlier, Zambia rallied twice in a 2-2 draw with Libya and needs just a draw to progress also from Group A.

The doubleheader was delayed for more than an hour following a tropical deluge that waterlogged the pitch.

Sow was on the bench for Senegal alongside Niang at the start of the match, with Papiss Cisse and Dame N'Doye in attack with Demba Ba, while Issiar Dia replaced Remi Gomis.

Equatorial Guinea coach Gilson Paulo kept the same team that beat Libya 1-0, with striker Rodolfo Bodipo left out as he continues his recovery from a left ankle injury.

Senegal's rejigged strike force created the first real opportunity as N'Doye crossed for Cisse to control the ball on his chest and lift a chip that Equatorial Guinea goalkeeper Emanuel-Danilo Clementino tipped onto the roof of the net in the 16th minute.

The co-host's tactics again focused on defending deep and breaking quickly but Senegal fashioned an even better chance soon after.

Dia was released down the right flank in the 22nd and his cutback found Demba Ba virtually on the penalty spot with the goal gaping, but he sidefooted the shot wide.

Clementino was called into action again to dive and block a low drive from distance by Guirane N'Daw on the half hour mark.

Equatorial Guinea was finding problems keeping possession, with lone striker Thierry Fidjeu repeatedly caught offside.

The defence, however, was holding firm and the teams were still scoreless at halftime.

Cisse had a chance just after the restart, but his shot from an angle was gathered by Clementino and Senegal's misfiring attack was summed up by N'Doye's header wide when unmarked at a corner in the 51st.

Attacking fluency was not helped by a muddy pitch that was still waterlogged in several places after the earlier downpour.

Nonetheless, Senegal rarely threatened as the second half progressed and Ba was withdrawn in the 58th, again unable to reproduce the form for Newcastle that has brought him 15 goals in the Premier League so far this season.

After absorbing the pressure, Equatorial Guinea hit with a classic counterattack to take the lead.

Alvarez advanced down the right flank and curled a cross that invited Iyanga to head into the net from close range and send the stadium into delirium.

Knowing defeat meant elimination, Traore threw on Niang and Sow, with Niang glancing a header wide from Deme Ndiaye's cross in the 72nd and forcing a save out of Clementino in the 78th.

Equatorial Guinea looked to be heading for victory until Sow hooked the equalizer after the defence failed to clear a deep free kick in the 89th minute.

But there was still time for more drama. Alvarez collected the ball and unleashed an unstoppable shot past Senegal goalkeeper Bouna Coundoul in the final minute of added time.

Alvarez sprinted away to celebrate, taking his shirt off and screaming with delight, while hundreds of fans invaded the pitch. Riot police marched several away before order could be restored.

Latest From ...