3 houses gutted by explosions in Brampton
Three families have been left homeless after a two-alarm blaze sparked by a propane explosion gutted three old row houses in Brampton.
"I have nothing. I’ve lost everything," said Georgette Thomas, 34, fighting back tears as she watched firefighters spray water onto the smouldering remains on Park Street, just north of downtown.
"All my kids and I have left are the clothes on our backs."
The fire erupted about 1 p.m. as a man worked on a collection of propane tanks at the north side of the building, which fire officials say may be as much as a century old.
"All of a sudden I saw these huge flames and heard big bangs — six or seven explosions," said Thomas.
"All I could think was, ‘Oh my God, oh my God.’ I have no insurance. I have nothing at all. It’s gone. It’s all gone. I have to start from scratch, start all over again."
Officials were still seeking a cause for the explosions and fire.