Mary Fleet was watching the local news when she learned of an elderly man’s death in Lower Sackville last week.

In disbelief, she tried calling her 76-year-old brother. There was no answer.

“He didn’t call back. He always calls back,” Fleet told Metro yesterday.

Joseph Walker was found dead in his Lower Sackville apartment early Friday morning. Four of his five sisters were at Dartmouth provincial court yesterday to face Nicholas Edward White, who is charged with second-degree murder in his death.

“We’re all in shock. It hasn’t really hit us yet,” said Fleet, sitting beside her sisters Beverly Crowell, Joan Mead and Jean Warner at the court house.

The remaining sister, Helen Ohearn, wasn’t in attendance. “He was a brother, and look, I’m telling you he was the most wonderful person you’d ever want to meet,” said Fleet, in a strong tone.

Fleet said her brother was a man-about-town. She said he could often be seen walking the streets of Lower Sackville sporting a cane and a black hat equipped with a long feather.

“He very seldom took the bus, or he would walk one way and take the bus back. He was in good shape for his age,” said Warner.

When the accused entered the courtroom yesterday, the sisters sat quietly.

“Everything is over and done with and we can’t bring Joe back. There’s no sense in saying anything to him,” Fleet said before White appeared.

Walker lived alone in his apartment at 70 Cobequid Rd. for 15 years. He had three sons, one daughter and “too many grandchildren to count,” said Fleet.


Accused showed little emotion in court appearance

Nicholas Edward White said nothing and showed little emotion as he entered a Dartmouth provincial courtroom yesterday.

After a brief appearance, the 24-year-old was remanded back to the Central Nova Correctional Facility in Burnside and will appear in court again Dec. 20 to set a date for preliminary inquiry.

White is charged with second-degree murder in the death of Joseph Walker.

White avoided eye contact with members of Walker’s family as he entered the courtroom yesterday afternoon. He was wearing a yellow and grey rugby shirt and black track pants.

Police were called to an apartment at 12:30 a.m. on Friday and arrested White a few minutes later at a nearby cemetery with the help of the K-9 unit.