• 10 fresh basil leaves
• 3 sprigs of parsley
• 2 scallions
• 2 small cloves garlic
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) Dijon mustard
• 1/4 lb (125 g) softened butter
• 2 large heads broccoli, to give 1 lb (500 g) florets
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
• Salt and black pepper
• 1 lb (500 g) fresh fettuccine or tagliatelle
• 10 cherry tomatoes
1. Put large pot of water on to boil for pasta. Rinse and dry basil and parsley and chop finely. Trim and rinse scallions; finely slice green tops and set aside, then slice white bulbs. Peel and crush garlic.
2. Blend mustard and butter in bowl then stir in sliced onion bulbs, garlic and herbs, crushing against bottom of bowl to release flavours. Set aside.
3. Rinse and trim broccoli into florets. Add oil, salt, pasta and broccoli to boiling water, return to boil, and cook 4 minutes, or until pasta is al dente.
4. Meanwhile, rinse and halve cherry tomatoes.
5. Thoroughly drain pasta and broccoli. Quickly melt flavoured butter in pasta pot. Return pasta and broccoli to pot and toss gently in butter over moderate heat until pasta is well coated; do not allow to fry.
6. Transfer pasta onto serving platter, season and garnish with scallion tops and tomatoes.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Fettuccine with Broccoli