Here’s hoping Halifax’s charitable spirit weighs tonnes and tonnes.
The weigh-in for the Food Fight — a challenge to raise food donations between Halifax, Regina and Vancouver — starts tonight at 6 p.m.
Food donations will be weighed at the Exhibition Park until 6 p.m. on Saturday.
“We won’t know until the actual event how well we’ve done with the messaging,” said Feed Nova Scotia’s Dianne Swinemar.
In the past month, challenges between businesses were thrown across the municipality, and Canada Post will be collecting donations at the doors of houses in several areas throughout HRM on Saturday.
Once the dust settles, the mayors in the two losing cities will wear the victor’s t-shirts, hats and pins as well as flying the winning city’s flag at their city hall.
But it’s not about the winning, Swinemar said.
“It’s more about the resources that come in than the win, as far as I’m concerned. I think winning is just the spirit of the team here and I’m really proud of them.”
Where to go
Drop off points for food donations:
- Exhibition Park: Thursday, 6 p.m. to Saturday, 6 p.m.
- Burger King parking lot: 121 Ilsley Ave. Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- ADP Canada: 130 Eileen Stubbs Ave., Unit 22. Thursday and Friday, 9 a.m. to 5p.m.
- Payzant Building Products: 250 Sackville Dr. Friday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sobeys: Penhorn Mall and Mumford Road.
- KOOL FM studio: 3770 Kempt Rd., Thursday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- CBC Radio: Sackville and South Park Streets. Friday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Feed Nova Scotia: Bedford Highway. Thursday, 6 to 8 p.m., Friday, 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Saturday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Several Canada Post offices
- Visit www.feednovascotia.ca/foodfight for details