• 4 red peppers
• 10 oz (300 g) filet mignon
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1 lb (500 g) green beans, trimmed
• 4 tbsp (60 mL) balsamic vinegar
• 2 tsp (10 mL) extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tbsp (25 mL) finely chopped shallot
• 1/4 lb (125 g) mixed salad greens
• 6 tomatoes, cut into 1/4-in (0.5-cm) wedges
1. Preheat broiler. Place red peppers in broiler pan. Cook until skins are blistered and blackened, turning frequently. Place in plastic bag, seal tightly and let steam 10 minutes. Peel away blackened skins from peppers, seed and cut into chunks.
2. Meanwhile, lay filet flat on cutting board and slit lengthwise three-quarters of the way through. Open up like a book and press flat. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper. Cut 1 garlic clove in half and rub cut sides all over beef. Barbecue or broil beef until done to taste, about 3 minutes per side for medium. Thinly slice beef.
3. Cook beans in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse immediately with cold water.
4. Crush remaining garlic clove. Whisk vinegar, oil, garlic, shallot and remaining pepper in small bowl. Divide mixed salad greens among 4 plates and arrange meat, pepper, beans and tomatoes on top. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Filet Mignon Salad