Fire sends three to hospital

Three residents were taken to hospital after a fire broke out in their northeast home early yesterday morning.

Three residents were taken to hospital after a fire broke out in their northeast home early yesterday morning.

Firefighters were called to the 100 block of Maitland Dr. NE after reports of smoke coming from the home.

Upon arrival, firefighters found a couch had caught fire in the basement of the bungalow-style home.
According to a neighbour, among the people living at the home were young children.

Fire crews on the scene had noted that the home did not have any working smoke detectors, they said yesterday.

“Smoke detectors are proven to saves lives and for the minimum amount of time it takes to ensure you have working smoke detectors, it’s well worth the peace of mind for your family,” said Jeff Budai of the Calgary Fire Department.

It is not yet determined whether the family owns the residence or were renting, but neither situation voids a tenant’s responsibility for the smoke detectors’ maintenance.

According to the Alberta Municipal Affairs Safety Services branch, the owner of a leased dwelling must make sure smoke alarms are working and cleaned prior to the tenant’s occupancy. They also must provide tenants with information on ongoing smoke alarm inspection testing and maintenance. It is then the tenant’s duty to maintain the smoke alarms through regular testing and maintenance.

The residents were taken to hospital with smoke inhalation as a precautionary measure.

The fire department said late yesterday the cause of the fire was careless disposal of smoking material and damages are estimated at around $5,000

 
 
Latest From ...
Most Popular From ...