Firefighters were called to a two-alarm fire at 6:20 a.m. yesterday, after a large amount of smoke was spotted billowing from the roof of a restaurant on the 500-block of West Broadway.

The street was closed to traffic as firefighters opened the ceiling of the Japas Bistro, a single storey commercial building, and found the flames. The fire had spread to the neighboring restaurant, the Sha Lin Noodle House, causing substantial damages to the two restaurants.

The blaze continued to spread, via the attic, to the three other businesses under the shared roof.

Vancouver’s fire department said in a release that the fire was difficult to fight in the attic area.

The other three businesses suffered primarily smoke damage.

The fire was extinguished at 9 a.m. and West Broadway reopened to traffic.

The fire was accidental and caused by an electrical problem.

No injuries were reported, but buses were rerouted and traffic was disrupted along West Broadway for several hours.

Most Popular From ...