Fires strike car, kitchen

A full inspection might have been a good idea for Michelle Papineau-Couture’s vintage VW Bug during a routine mechanical repair appointment yesterday afternoon.

A full inspection might have been a good idea for Michelle Papineau-Couture’s vintage VW Bug during a routine mechanical repair appointment yesterday afternoon.

After the appointment, Papineau-Couture noticed smoke coming from her engine and pulled over to investigate when it burst into flames. She ran her five-week-old baby into a nearby house and called the fire department, which responded and extinguished the fire.

Meanwhile, an Edmonton male suffered minor injuries and was taken to hospital yesterday morning after fire crews put out a blaze in a basement kitchen.

The fire — sparked by a short circuit from an old microwave — caused an estimated $100,000 worth of damage to the home at 110 Avenue and 153 Street.